Roosters are not required for egg production!
chickens part of your sustainable garden environment and eggs
part of your healthy eating habit.
• Chickens are interactive pets that keep
garden insect pests, snails and slugs at bay.
• Chickens are friendly, fun and responsive and produce
delicious, home grown, organic eggs.
• Chickens convert vegetable table leftovers into first-rate
chickens in Sebastopol, CA
on image for a larger view
Country Coops are
designed for nesting, feeding and protecting your flock from predators
and the elements. Your birds will lay and eat in the coop but
need free range to hunt for weeds, bugs and pests and to stretch
their wings. Chickens normally stay close to their coop and are
remarkably pet and car savvy. Check with your zoning restrictions,
however, to make sure they are permitted in your neighborhood.
It may be that chickens are permitted but roosters aren't.
fun with chickens!
you should know about your new
Wine Country Coop
Wine Country Coops can arrange for custom delivery and installation
whatever your location.
• The base may be attached to concrete blocks, which may be
cemented to the ground.
• The coop should be set level.
Chickens like to scratch and explore during the daylight hours in
a backyard, garden or any natural place, and will retire to the coop
• Chickens will feed and roost (spend the dark hours) in safety
in their coop.
It is not necessary to have an enclosed area for chickens,
but remember, they like to explore and may disturb new seedlings as
they search for bugs and slugs.
Care of your Flock
Chickens rise with the sun and retire at dusk. Make sure to close
door before you go to bed and open it in the morning.
• Keep an in-coop feed-dispenser well stocked with hen food
and freshen the coop water supply as required. Maintain an additional
supply of water on the grounds of the coop.
• We like to supplement our chicken's diet with hen scratch
(a seed mixture) and oyster shell (calcium for strong egg shells).
• Collect eggs every day.
and Safety from Predators
You will find that the coop remains remarkably clean.
• Spray down the interior of the house as required.
• Line nests with 3-4 inches of fresh straw and replace as necessary.
• Our chicken houses are safe from nocturnal predators such
as raccoons and possums.
for Raising Happy, Healthy Birds
Chickens do well in dry, wet, hot and cold climates.
• Your flock will shelter in the coop during wet weather.
• Chickens roost side by side to keep warm at night.
• Hens do not require a rooster to produce healthy eggs.
• Your birds will appreciate any vegetable table scraps or leftovers
including cheese, bread, pizza, rice and garden produce.
• Chickens love grapevine leaves and berries.
Why not raise Zinfandel fed hens?
will find that chickens are a fun addition to your household. Fresh
eggs daily, scurrying chickens that run to meet you, and happy birds
that appreciate your attention, are just some of the delights that
by our products. Call founders, James Stamp or Elizabeth Quinto
(707 829 8405), at any time for assistance or to order your Wine Country
Breeds and Purchasing your Flock
for advice on where to buy your flock and on the many different breeds
of chickens that are available.
|© Copyright Wine Country Coops 2003-2010